History of Battery C

Campaign History of Battery C  |  Unit Histories

Battery C
(Charlotte Artillery or Ramsey’s Battery)
10th North Carolina State Troops
(1st Regiment North Carolina Artillery)

        On May 16, 1861 this battery was organized at Charlotte and called the "Charlotte Artillery." In July it was ordered to Raleigh where it was mustered into State service for the war on August 15, 1861 and designated Company C, 10th Regiment N. C. State Troops (1st Regiment N. C. Artillery). Fifteen days later it was mustered into Confederate States service. This fully equipped six gun battery was then sent to New Bern and stationed at Croatan Station on the Atlantic and North Carolina Railroad where it remained until March 12, 1862 when it was forced to retire to New Bern. During the battle of New Bern, March 14, 1862, the battery lost four of its six guns. On hearing of the loss, the people of Charlotte gave their church bells and new guns were cast at Richmond. Later, at Petersburg, Virginia, the battery was re-organized and attached to General Lawrence O’B. Branch’s Brigade, General Theophilus Holmes’ command. With Branch’s Brigade it was engaged at Handover Court House, Virginia, May 27, 1862. During the Seven Days’ Battles around Richmond, June 26 – July 1, 1862, the battery did not see service until engaged at Malvern Hill on July 1.

        After these engagements, when Lee divided his army into two wings, the battery was attached to Brigadier General Robert Ransom’s Brigade, Major General Daniel H. Hill’s command. Prior to this time the battery had been called "Brem’s Battery" after its first Captain, Thomas H. Brem. When Joseph Graham assumed command, after Brem’s resignation in June 1862, the battery became known as "Graham’s Battery." The battery was then returned to Petersburg until the fall of 1862 when it went into winter quarters at Drewry’s Bluff, James River, Virginia, where it was assigned to Brigadier General Junius Daniel’s Brigade of General D. H. Hill’s campaign against Washington and New Bern. At this time its equipment consisted of three 3-inch rifle guns, one 12-pounder howitzer and two 6-pounder bronze smooth bore guns. In May 1863 it returned to Drewry’s Bluff and was ordered to join the Army of Northern Virginia, which it did at Berryville, Virginia, June 21, 1863. The army was on its way north, and the battery was assigned to Major William T. Poague’s Artillery Battalion, General William Dorsey Pender’s Division, General A. P Hill’s Corps. It was to remain in Major Poague’s Battalion for the rest of the war. At Gettysburg the battery was actively engaged on July 2 and 3. During the battle the men abandoned one of their own 6-pounders for a captured Federal 3-inch rifle gun.

        As a member of the Army of Northern Virginia the battery took part in all its engagements. It was heavily engaged at Bristoe Station, Virginia, October 14, 1863. When Captain Graham resigned on February 1, 1864, 1st Lieutenant Arthur B. Williams became Captain and the battery was redesignated "Williams’ Battery." During the battle of the Wilderness on May 6, it occupied a position in the clearing on the Orange Plank Road and succeeded in pouring a heavy fire into the advancing Federals, thus delaying them until Longstreet came up to drive them back. It was in every engagement from the Wilderness to Petersburg. From September 1864 through February 1865 the battery was stationed near Dutch Gap, Virginia, on the line between Richmond and Petersburg.

        On April 9, 1864 the battery consisted of one Napoleon, two 3-inch rifles, and one 10-pounder Parrott. From May through September it had one Whitworth gun. By December 1864 it reported two 12-pounder Napoleons and one 3-inch rifle.

        When Lee evacuated Petersburg on April 2, 1865 the battery joined the retreating army, frequently engaging in rear-guard actions. On April 9 Lee surrendered at Appomattox Court House, Virginia. Two days later the men of the battery were paroled.


Reference: North Carolina Troops 1861-1865 - A Roster edited by Manarin and Jordan.
Compiled and Edited by: Lisa Van Goethem and David Stanley.

Campaign History of Battery C  |  Unit Histories