|History of Reilly's Battery|
Campaign History of Battery D | Unit Histories
(Rowan Artillery or Reillys Battery)
10th North Carolina State Troops
(1st Regiment North Carolina Artillery)
Organized May 18, 1858 as the "Rowan Artillery," this battery of light artillery was called into active duty for twelve months service May 3, 1861. Upon completing its organization at Salisbury, the battery was ordered to Weldon where it enlisted for three years or the war. Here, also, Captain James Reilly was assigned to command and the battery became known as "Reillys Battery." Because of the lack of held pieces and artillery equipment the battery was temporarily assigned as infantry to the 4th Regiment N.C. State Troops.
Leaving for Richmond on July 20, 1861, the battery arrived at Manassas Junction on July 27. Here it received two 10-pounder Parrotts and two Dahlgren Howitzers, trophies of the Battle of Manassas, and was assigned to Brigadier General W. H. C. Whitings Brigade. The battery remained on the Centreville line until it went into winter quarters at Camp Fisher, near Dumfries, Virginia, on November 19. On March 8, 1862 it joined the army in the move to Yorktown and was actively engaged in rear-guard fighting when the army retired from Yorktown and Williamsburg to Richmond in May. To bring the battery up to full strength, two 3-inch Burton and Ascher rifle guns were added on May 20, 1862. Still assigned to Whitings Brigade, the battery remained in that brigade when Whiting became divisional commander and Colonel E. M. Law assumed command of the brigade. In June, Whitings Division was sent to join General T. J. Jacksons army at Staunton and united with that army on its move to strike McClellans right flank in front of Richmond. In the series of battles known as the Seven Days', the battery was officially in Laws Brigade, Whitings Division, Jacksons command. The battery was engaged at Gaines Mill Hill, July 1. After the battle at Gaines Mill the men abandoned one of their Burton and Ascher 3-inch rifle guns for a captured Federal 3-inch rifle gun.
The report of the organization of the Army of Northern Virginia, dated July 23, 1862, carries the battery in Laws Brigade, Whitings Division, General D. H. Hills command. When Whiting was ordered to North Carolina, General John B. Hood was given Whitings old division. Thus, after the reorganization following the Seven Days', the battery was officially in Hoods Division, where it served in Major B. W. Frobels Artillery Battalion. Now an integral part of the Army of Northern Virginia, the company took part in all major battles fought by that army. It was at Second Manassas, August 29-30, 1862; South Mountain, September 14, 1862; Sharpsburg, September 17, 1862. After the last named battle it reported two 10-pounder Parrotts, two 3-inch rifles, and two 24-pounder Dahlgren Howitzers. On October 4, 1862 Captain W. P. Lloyds Battery, 1st Company G. 40th Regiment N. C. Troops (3rd Regiment N. C. Artillery), was disbanded, and fifty-five men were assigned to this battery. Continuing with the army, the battery saw action at Fredericksburg on December 13, 1862. Here it remained with the army and went into winter quarters.
With the coming of spring, the battery was ordered to North Carolina to participate in a projected attack on Washington. It left Fredericksburg on February 7, 1863 and stopped at Richmond where the two Dahlgren Howitzers were exchanged for two Napoleons. Arriving at Tarboro on April 6, the battery took part in the attack on Washington on April 10. After the engagement it returned to Tarboro on the 16th and was sent to join Longstreets command, which was then moving on Suffolk, Virginia. It arrived before Suffolk on April 26 and took part in the siege operations until May 5 when it was ordered to return to the army. On June 4 it rejoined its old division at Culpeper Court House.
During its absences in North Carolina the artillery of the army had been reorganized and "Reillys Battery" had been assigned to Major M. W. Henrys Artillery Battalion, Hoods Division, Longstreets Corp. This battalion was later to become known as Major John C. Haskells Artillery Battalion after Major Henry transferred in June 1863. The battery served in this battalion for the balance of the war.
Moving with the army, the battery was engaged on July 2 and 3, 1863 at Gettysburg. After returning to Virginia, and when Longstreets Corps was sent to Tennessee, Haskells Artillery Battalion went into winter quarters near Beaver Dam Station on the Virginia Central Railroad on September 12 and was temporarily attached to General A. P. Hills Corps. With the promotion of Captain Reilly on September 7, 1863, 1st Lieutenant John A. Ramsay became Captain and the battery was redesignated "Ramsays Battery." With the exception of the Mine Run campaign in December 1863 the battery remained in winter quarters until May 4, 1864 when it was returned to Longstreets Corps and ordered to join the army, then concentrating to meet General U. S. Grants expected advance. Just prior to this, on April 9, 1864, the battery was reported as equipped with one 3-inch rifle gun, three 10-pounder Parrotts, and two Napoleons.
The battery remained with Lees army from the Wilderness to Petersburg and saw action principally at Spotsylvania Court House on May 9, and at Cold Harbor, June 1-3. From July 1864 through February 1865 the battery remained in the lines below Richmond. In the last report of equipment in December 1864, the battery possessed three 10-pounder Parrotts, one 12-pounder Whitworth, and two 8-pounder Armstrong guns. When Lee evacuated Petersburg on April 2, 1865, the battery joined the retreating army to Appomattox Court House, Virginia, where Lee surrendered his army on April 9.
See the Wartime Roster
Reference: North Carolina Troops
1861-1865 - A Roster edited by Manarin and Jordan.
Compiled and Edited by: Lisa Van Goethem and David Stanley.
Campaign History of Battery D | Unit Histories